Tuesday 2 February 2010

Little Wag Piper

Little Grebes with a pair of Mallard (and a Moorhen hidden behind the female). Interestingly the Little Grebe on the left has moulted into summer plumage already.


Grey Wagtail by Lowthorpe Bridge, a fairly regular spot for this one this winter. They're one of my favourite birds and it's so pleasing they have been a regular sight in the area in recent years. Slight buff colouring around the neck suggests a young bird, from last summer.


Two Green Sandpipers together is pretty good in winter. This duo were probably taking a break from feeding on the drain nearby, and would probably feed around this pool were it not frozen. It's encouraging they've survived here this long.


A lovely trio of Roe Deer - a stag in the middle. I don't know much about deer but these ones look in good condition so have perhaps not suffered too much with the weather. When I took this shot I was stood in a gateway when they appeared about 10 yards along the hedgerow - of course I fumbled with the camera and they were half way across the field by then!


Ok, struggling for wildlife shots now. A big mo0o0o0ker. It almost had my camera off me. There isn't a great deal of cattle farming in the area, and as a result not a lot of grass fields - the two main block are at New Road, Harpham and between Kelk Lake and the houses in Little Kelk.


As you can see, I didn't have a lot of success with pictures this month. Not much change there then.

No comments: